Friday, November 26, 2010

A note from Omar

5 days ago I was excited to be going home after a full U.S. tour that had me away for 7 weeks. I missed home. I missed my woman. I missed my dog. I missed my friends. I missed good food. I missed my bikes.
Needless to say at this point, the drive home didn't go so well right around mile 1400.
Though I don't knock it, I've never been a praying kind of man. Not to say that I don't have faith in spirituality or the idea of a higher being, I just like to think and operate in a way that has me in control of what I'm doing and where I'm going; how I'm treating people and how I'm being treated; and making mistakes and learning from them and/or rectifying them.
After our experience, there is one area where my faith has heightened exponentially:
My faith in people.
I'm humbled by the endless generosity and concern that has been unleashed during this period of adversity. It would take me far too long than is comfortable for me to type with one hand to list the people I would like to thank and the instances of kindness I've experienced in the last few days. I ran out of appendages to use while counting my blessings and it made me feel really good about being alive and being a human being surrounded by other human beings.
I strongly feel that it is in our innate makeup to be and to want to be caring, compassionate, and affectionate… and although the daily stresses of life often interfere with our inherent desire to love, I'm happy to know that in my time of need, there was no shortage of love coming my way… and I am forever grateful for that.

Here's to hoping that in the future, it doesn't take a near death experience to remember that we were put here to care and to love, and to wishing my dear friend Adam a speedy recovery.

Much love and gratitude,
Omar

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that the guys all made it home in time for Thanksgiving. It's great to be able to follow them via this blog and see that they are safe and sound with family and friends, rather than stuck in another cold Wyoming snowstorm. God bless and good luck!

    ReplyDelete